Skip to main content

A typical week

Life here has started to settle into a rhythm. The day starts with Chris heading for the bus; on some days, we take him to the office as well. I hesitate to wake Davin, but he leaps out of bed when we mention that we are taking Dad to the “big buildings.” Davin loves the chance to see the big buildings in uptown Charlotte (there is no downtown Charlotte). The city is growing and there are several construction sites, some near Chris’s office. Davin points out every crane, bridge, city bus, tractor, and other vehicles that contribute to the pulse of a burgeoning city.

Both boys love breakfast and they are usually eager to eat a good meal, so I try to make breakfast for them when possible. We tried a new variety to one of our favorites: adding blueberries to “german pancakes” or “puff oven pancakes.” I love eating breakfast together.

As new residents of Charlotte, it has been fun to seek out new adventures. Part of the adventure is the fun of figuring out how to handle two boys at once. (I’m sure those of you with more than two will sigh and think longingly of the days when you only had two to take care of.) We have a good time together, though. Davin is growing into his new role as the big brother; lately I have noticed better obedience and more patience with not having things his way. Some of our adventures include visiting the Charlotte Child at Play museum, going to the local library, and playing with new friends. We recently got a pass to the Harris YMCA; the boys love the indoor and outdoor pools. Rowan is quite a little fish! He loves to kick and splash as if he is swimming. I love the opportunity to swim again too.

Chris invited us to meet him for lunch and we found a fun plaza across from his office. There are several quaint restaurants, lovely gardens, and even a splash fountain for kids. We tried Jolina Tex-Mex and Barbeque Kitchen. Of course it wasn’t as good as eating in Austin, but it keeps us from being too homesick. Chris has had a fun time finding other good places to eat in Charlotte and we look forward to having lunch with him again.

Of course, we spend a lot of time at “the new house”, as Davin often calls it. Adventures are fun, but down-time is important too. Davin plays golf in the yard for hours and both boys love the bucket swing. Rowan will contentedly play with toys; he isn’t crawling yet and seems happy to be in one place with a pile of toys to discover. Even without toys, Davin can keep himself entertained. In Davin’s world, he is in a constant and on-going baseball game and he is always up to bat. He cocks his hands back as if he is waiting for the pitch, the imaginary bat clutched in his sweaty hands. He waits for you to pitch him the ball. “…it’s a high fast pitch and Rees knocks it out of the park!” “Over the fence!” Davin usually exclaims as he runs in a circle around the living room and slides into home base. Another fascination these days is garages. Garages have been a love-hate item for Davin. He first noticed them when he was two at Grandma Nissen’s house and consistently said “noise” every time we opened the garage door. For awhile, he was deathly afraid of garages; he would refuse to walk through one. The only way to get him through a garage would be to carry him and he would close his eyes and cling to me tightly, trembling a little. He must have made peace with the idea of a garage because now he loves them and points out every house that has one. Chris bought some bamboo place mats for our table and Davin has found them to be perfect garage doors. Ironically we have never had a garage, do not currently have one, and will likely not have one until his fascination with them is over (and he is put in charge of cleaning it instead). The small glimpses that I have into Davin’s imaginary world are amazing; the world is a different place through his eyes.

At the end of our day, we anxiously await the hour in which Chris returns and we swarm him when he comes home. Davin asks him constantly if he was at work all day, trying to figure out why Dad disappears for hours in the day. We eat dinner together, play a little more, and then it is bath time. Rowan loves bath time. He giggles as I take off his clothes and squeals with delight when I put him in the tub. He loves to lie on his back, kicking and splashing. Bubble baths with his big brother are fun too! Davin could play in a bubble bath for an hour or longer if we let him. Yay for bath time! After bath, it’s off to bed, and time for Chris and I to enjoy some much needed time together.

Comments

Maile said…
We love bath time here, too. On the days when it's just too hot to go out or we just don't feel like it, I just stick the kids in a bubble bath. I get to do a little reading and they have fun entertaining (fighting) each other for at least half an hour. =)

Popular posts from this blog

Rowan Isaac Rees

The title of this blog also happens to be the name of our new baby. Rowan Isaac. Rowan is a Celtic name that means "little red one", and Isaac is a Hebrew name that means laughter. His initials (RIR) also spell the Portuguese verb "to laugh". So hopefully he will be a fun kid. We think he is already. He arrived today, November 28, 2007 at 2:15 pm (or thereabouts - I'll have to check the exact time). Both he and Katie are doing fine and resting a bit. He weighs 9 lbs, 2 oz., and as you can see from the picture, he has beautiful blond hair. He is a good little boy so far, and we're excited to have him in our family. Davin is with our good friends, the Smiths, this afternoon, but we think he understands a bit and is excited to meet his new little brother later this afternoon. We would like to thank you all for your love and your prayers, and hopefully we'll get a chance to talk to and see many of you soon so you can meet our little guy. If you want to see m...

Something to say

We were there in the kitchen, Rowan and I, when out of nowhere came this sound: “ma ma ba ma.” I stopped for a moment and repeated the sound to Rowan. He looked back at me and did it again: “ma ma ma ba.” This funny laugh bubbled out of me, the kind of laugh when you witness a miracle, something that someone told you was possible but you weren’t quite sure it was, but there it was in front of you, that perfect little miracle. I made the sound to Rowan again and he repeated it again. Picking him up, I spun him around, kissing him repeatedly. It was like a scene from a movie. I’m sure there were violins crescendo-ing somewhere and the audience was getting teary. “Be patient!” they told me, “it could be six months before he makes any kind of sound.” I was all prepared to be patient and I still am. There is a lot left to do. Even after this afternoon’s happy moment, I told myself that it could have been an accident or coincidence, but when he made the noises for Chris later this evening, I...

Labor Day = No Labor

The fun part of moving is that we don't have to go far to find new adventures. For Labor Day we decided to head to the coast to explore. We started our day in Santa Cruz where we stopped for lunch but we didn't stay long. Our next stop was the Swanton Berry Farm where we picked strawberries. In September. In sweatshirts. My southern friends were shocked!  The next stop was Harley Goat Farm in Pescadero. We loved watching the goats and browsing through the goat cheese store. Rowan was brave and even tried a little! After the goat farm, we wandered around the Pescadero village and explored the markets. The boys were excited to find a gumball machine but I was more interested in the dahlia market and the fresh artichoke garlic herb bread in Arcangeli's Market (we got our loaf hot from the oven and oh. my. heavens!).  We ba...