Skip to main content

Deciphering Davin



Tomorrow is the one year anniversary in which we learned of Rowan’s hearing loss. It was a like a bolt out of the blue and we were shocked and unprepared for the news. A rapid absorption of information occurred as we tried to sift through the strange new vocabulary for “cochlear implants” and “profound hearing loss.” However, we had a pretty clear diagnosis and an even clearer path to take: bilateral cochlear implants followed by intense audio-verbal therapy. Understanding Davin and his needs has been like a mountain path that meanders casually through a dense forest and then sharply accelerates to a narrow vista, only to be obscured again by more trees. There were times that I wondered about Davin, but he always met his developmental benchmarks and the pediatrician seemed to think he was fine, making me feel like an over-obsessed parent. Then issues started to arise; Davin had a hard time integrating into preschool at age three. We had him tested by the school district who determined that he had a receptive language delay, which qualified him to attend a pre-kindergarten school. We knew that Davin had some delays and needs, we just didn’t know what they were exactly. By chance I happened to have a different pediatrician for Davin’s four year old check-up who referred us to a neurologist, who then referred us to a pediatric neuropsychologist. After a series of appointments and tests, she concluded what we had started to suspect, that Davin has Asperger’s.

If you are new to this term, Asperger’s syndrome (can also be referred to as a disorder), is the highest functioning diagnosis on the autism spectrum. Individuals with Asperger’s show some of the tendencies of autism (poor social skills, tendency to fixate on a particular topic, problems communicating, sensory issues) without the mental retardation element. It is a challenging condition where individuals have a difficult time interacting with others and understanding the rules of society, but with good instruction these barriers can be overcome or at least managed (there is no “cure” for Asperger’s or autism). However, many have learned to do so and likely go through their lives without an official diagnosis or treatment; in fact, for some it seems to unlock the more intense and creative elements of their brains that focus single-mindedly on a particular problem (try Google-ing “famous people aspergers” and check out the list that comes up).

Davin has his peculiarities; he likes wearing sport related clothes and usually has to have a set of sport clothes underneath his school clothes or church clothes in order to convince him to wear something else. He likes cars, buses, and stop lights and tends to focus his time on these activities, though he also loves to play outside, play sports, and ride his bike. Occasionally he can be a little clumsy but in general he seems to have good gross motor skills; he likes to run, shoot baskets, and play baseball. He can get a little overwhelmed by a large group of people but he also enjoys having friends over to play and he has an amazing memory for names and events. Noises, particularly loud, unexpected noises tend to bother him and he has become a little concerned about fire alarms lately. He is a warm and empathetic little boy who worries about others when they are sad and loves to be hugged and cuddled, a trait not often found with Asperger’s.

We are continuing in our journey to learn more about Davin and make decisions that will hopefully give him the best opportunities to succeed. There will be challenges ahead but our goal is to help Davin to find what will make him happy in life and to facilitate that adventure as much as possible, no matter where it may take us.

Comments

Jenny said…
I know we have talked recently about it, but I just wanted to say that I think you guys are amazing and you will help him thrive like we have helped Nathan with this. Each child is special with their own set of needs. You just continue to parent that way and seek out resources for support and help. You will wear out your knees with prayer and fasting and just the LOVE THE HECK out of them! It is a slow processes some months (days, weeks, even hours), but results will come when you are least expecting them. There will be that day when someone comes up to you and asks why he is on medication (if that is your route...it has been part of our treatment)because he seems so normal, and played so well with "so and so". Your heart will be full and you will be literally overwhelmed with gratitude to our Heavenly Father.
I love you and amaze at your grace and accomplishments whenever you come to mind. You have a great partner in crime. You 2 will support each other in this as a united front.
Davin is in great hands.
Miss you!!
Shellee said…
I hope you are doing okay with everything on your plate. I have a friend who's 6 year old has asbergers. It has been pretty challenging for her but in my interactions with Davin he seems a lot different from my friends girl. I am sure every case is different. You are great katie! DAvin is a special kid with special parents to care for him.
House Of P said…
Give yourself a big hug from me Katie! I know you have suspected things for a while now and I'm sure it's nice to have answers. If there's anyone who can help two adorable boys with these types of challenges in their lives to succeed, it's you!
Davis and Laura said…
I just have to say that I know Heavenly Father has a ton of faith in you and Chris as parents! You guys are wonderful, honestly and I huge example to me as a mom! Sometimes we don't understand the challenges given to us, and that makes it even harder but I know that all will even out. There is so much information and education on Asbergers now, so I'm sure with some professional help Davin will be able to iron out some difficult things he deals with right now. We love you Rees family and will keep you in our prayers!
Janine said…
Katie, it is amazing to see what a wonderful job you do with your sweet boys and the challenges they both face. I admire your grace and approach, and know your boys are in great hands. Now that you have a focus you can work on helping Davin with his challenges. We love you guys!
Sara said…
Katie and Chris, you are both such wonderful parents. You are a pillar of strength. Our thoughts are with you often and we miss you and your sweet family. Davin will be able to grow and develop with you guys guiding him along the way. Our prayers are with you.
Laura said…
I sure love and miss you and your sweet boys! Tears fell from my face as I felt the love and strength you have been blessed with as you have been granted to be given this trial as a mother. With trials come a wealth of blessings, and I am so grateful for the wealth of blessings your sons have in such wonderful parents. We love you!
Anonymous said…
What a beautiful post! He is such a sweet little guy. We feel blessed to know your family and learn from you. You are, and have been, in our prayers!

Popular posts from this blog

Rowan Isaac Rees

The title of this blog also happens to be the name of our new baby. Rowan Isaac. Rowan is a Celtic name that means "little red one", and Isaac is a Hebrew name that means laughter. His initials (RIR) also spell the Portuguese verb "to laugh". So hopefully he will be a fun kid. We think he is already. He arrived today, November 28, 2007 at 2:15 pm (or thereabouts - I'll have to check the exact time). Both he and Katie are doing fine and resting a bit. He weighs 9 lbs, 2 oz., and as you can see from the picture, he has beautiful blond hair. He is a good little boy so far, and we're excited to have him in our family. Davin is with our good friends, the Smiths, this afternoon, but we think he understands a bit and is excited to meet his new little brother later this afternoon. We would like to thank you all for your love and your prayers, and hopefully we'll get a chance to talk to and see many of you soon so you can meet our little guy. If you want to see m...

Something to say

We were there in the kitchen, Rowan and I, when out of nowhere came this sound: “ma ma ba ma.” I stopped for a moment and repeated the sound to Rowan. He looked back at me and did it again: “ma ma ma ba.” This funny laugh bubbled out of me, the kind of laugh when you witness a miracle, something that someone told you was possible but you weren’t quite sure it was, but there it was in front of you, that perfect little miracle. I made the sound to Rowan again and he repeated it again. Picking him up, I spun him around, kissing him repeatedly. It was like a scene from a movie. I’m sure there were violins crescendo-ing somewhere and the audience was getting teary. “Be patient!” they told me, “it could be six months before he makes any kind of sound.” I was all prepared to be patient and I still am. There is a lot left to do. Even after this afternoon’s happy moment, I told myself that it could have been an accident or coincidence, but when he made the noises for Chris later this evening, I...

Labor Day = No Labor

The fun part of moving is that we don't have to go far to find new adventures. For Labor Day we decided to head to the coast to explore. We started our day in Santa Cruz where we stopped for lunch but we didn't stay long. Our next stop was the Swanton Berry Farm where we picked strawberries. In September. In sweatshirts. My southern friends were shocked!  The next stop was Harley Goat Farm in Pescadero. We loved watching the goats and browsing through the goat cheese store. Rowan was brave and even tried a little! After the goat farm, we wandered around the Pescadero village and explored the markets. The boys were excited to find a gumball machine but I was more interested in the dahlia market and the fresh artichoke garlic herb bread in Arcangeli's Market (we got our loaf hot from the oven and oh. my. heavens!).  We ba...