At the beginning of the summer, Davin clung to me as we walked around the YMCA pool. We worked on swimming lessons together but I started to wonder if he would ever get past his paralyzing fear of the deep end. At the Y there are a few water slides but you have to pass a swimming test in order to ride the slides. Davin loves slides and he was so determined to get his "green necklace" (a band that advanced swimmers wear) but given his progress I wasn't sure he could get there. He needed to swim 25 meters and tread water for 60 seconds in order to pass the test. We continued to work on his swim technique but it seemed like we had a long way to go.
The boys did a tennis camp at the beginning of July which included swimming in the club pool at the end of camp. I walked by the pool to pick up the boys and to my astonishment both boys were jumping from the diving board into the 10 feet deep water. At first Davin used a noodle to help keep him afloat but by the end of the week he was leaping into the water with no fear. I was so proud of him for finally conquering his fear of the deep end and using his swimming skills to keep himself afloat. We continued to practice swimming; he developed a beautiful front crawl and was able to swim 25 meters without trouble but treading water continued to frustrate Davin. Finally, near the end of the summer, he tried the test again and he was able to tread water for 60 seconds! I was so proud of him for continuing to work and not giving up.
Davin's swimming progress is emblematic of the growth he had this summer. I'm so proud of him as he continues to work hard and not give up. It's exciting to see Davin realize his potential and to put to use the things he has learned.
The boys did a tennis camp at the beginning of July which included swimming in the club pool at the end of camp. I walked by the pool to pick up the boys and to my astonishment both boys were jumping from the diving board into the 10 feet deep water. At first Davin used a noodle to help keep him afloat but by the end of the week he was leaping into the water with no fear. I was so proud of him for finally conquering his fear of the deep end and using his swimming skills to keep himself afloat. We continued to practice swimming; he developed a beautiful front crawl and was able to swim 25 meters without trouble but treading water continued to frustrate Davin. Finally, near the end of the summer, he tried the test again and he was able to tread water for 60 seconds! I was so proud of him for continuing to work and not giving up.
Davin's swimming progress is emblematic of the growth he had this summer. I'm so proud of him as he continues to work hard and not give up. It's exciting to see Davin realize his potential and to put to use the things he has learned.



Comments